The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards

Go Back   The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards > Discussion Forums > Hair Products
Hair Products Have you just tried a new product and want to tell us about it? Are you looking for a new product to try? Come on in!

Main Menu

hair styles The Community
hair care Home
prom hair Articles
long hair styles Product Reviews
long hair care Boutique
long hair prom styles Forums
hair styles Memberlist
hair care Chat Room
prom hair styles Calendar
long hair style FAQ
long hair care Contribute!

growing long hair Contact zone
long hair care products Staff
long hair gallery Contact Us
long hair updo Advertising

Archives

User Name:

Password:

Remember Me?
Not a member yet?
Register Now!

Old February 11th, 2006, 11:47 AM   #1
LadyOttoline
Long Hair Devotee

Length: long/40/45+
Type: 1a/F/i/ii
Trader Rating: 46

herbatint, naturtint, naturcolor, tints of nature, Robert Craig, etc.

All of these claim to be non-damaging and "natural" whatever that may mean. Is that true?? Those who have or are using these colors, have you experienced any more damage or dryness than before? Or do they really, as some of them claim, make your hair softer and shinier and actually healthier (can't quite believe that...)?? Has anyone used one of these products over a longer period of time? ALso, has anyone managed to go a shade or to lighter than your natural haircolor with any of these products?

TIA!

May 13, 2006
Old February 11th, 2006, 12:14 PM   #2
Rain
Long Hair Guru

Length: 30/32/39
Type: 3a/3b/F/iii
Trader Rating: 86

Re: herbatint, naturtint, naturcolor, tints of nature, Robert Craig, etc.

I don't think Robert Craig claims to be natural. They claim it's gentle and in my experience, it is. You can't use it to go lighter because it doesn't lift color. If you use a color lighter than your natural color, it can make your grays/whites look like highlights but it doesn't bleach your hair. I have always found it to increase shine and I have not experienced any damage despite dyeing the full length of my hair four times with it. I used Les Rouges Romantiques once when my hair was much shorter and I noticed the damage the entire time I was growing it out.
Old February 11th, 2006, 12:18 PM   #3
Sally
Long Hair Guru

Length: 23.5/32/35
Type: 2c/M/i/ii
Trader Rating: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain
I don't think Robert Craig claims to be natural. They claim it's gentle and in my experience, it is. You can't use it to go lighter because it doesn't lift color. If you use a color lighter than your natural color, it can make your grays/whites look like highlights but it doesn't bleach your hair. I have always found it to increase shine and I have not experienced any damage despite dyeing the full length of my hair four times with it. I used Les Rouges Romantiques once when my hair was much shorter and I noticed the damage the entire time I was growing it out.

I'm so glad to hear this, Rain. I'm getting my first Robert Craig order tomorrow (brother bringing it up from the US). Can't wait to try it. I did a lot of damage to my hair several years ago using drugstore colours. The last one was one of those two-stage highlighting kits and it just fried my length. Over the past several months, I've been using Herbatint on the roots only. It's not bad, but the colour quickly fades to a kind of dullness.

Anyway, glad to hear you've been using the RC for a long time without noticing any damage, Rain. Your hair looks absolutely great.
Old February 11th, 2006, 07:51 PM   #4
Forever Long
Long Hair Guru

Length: ?/33/TBL
Type: 1b/1c/F/ii
Trader Rating: 13

I use Naturcolor, I've been using it for maybe 10 years now. I used to use other hair color, and Naturcolor is way less damaging than the ones I used before. But I'm sure it's still damaging. It would probably be much less so, but the only way I am able to achieve a lighter color with Naturcolor is by boosting the peroxide gel that comes with it by mixing it with a higher-volume peroxide. But it is a very natural looking color and I really like it.
Old April 19th, 2006, 06:52 AM   #5
robinm
Long Hair Devotee

Length: chin/20ish/BSL?
Type: 2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii
Trader Rating: 0

Replying to a really old thread.. Herbatint fried my hair! I've been using RC for months but was out and saw Whole Foods had Herbatint on sale. I tried it and really regret it. My hair feels like straw - knotted like crazy. The color looks fine but the texture is awful.

"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."
-- Albert Einstein
Old April 19th, 2006, 12:42 PM   #6
CopperHead
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 2 in/42/45
Type: 2b/M/iii
Trader Rating: 0

I used Naturtint for a couple of months and it seemed to fade out really fast, and it turned out way too dark when I would touch up my roots. I read an article that said the chemical that is used instead of ammonia is just as damaging, so I just went back to my L'oreal Perference. My hair is back to the color I love with none of the problems I had with Naturtint.