Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Do You Rinse Out Your ACV/Vinegar Rinse?

Snowymoon
November 29th, 2006, 01:32 PM
I am curious. For those of you who use an ACV or vinegar rinse, do you rinse it out after you use it, or do you just leave it in your hair?

I am curious to see how many rinse it out as opposed to leaving it in. :grin: I have always rinsed it out when I have used it in the past.

talullah
November 29th, 2006, 01:35 PM
I rinse it out.

Even after rinsing well, my hair stinks. I can't even imagine what it would smell like if I left it in! :wink:

starfire
November 29th, 2006, 01:42 PM
The last time I used it, I rinsed it out (my DH hates the smell of vinegar and complained). But my hair isn't as shiny/soft as when I left it in... so I think I'll go back to not rinsing. Personally, I love the smell of vinegar! I know people say that once your hair dries, the smell goes away... well, everytime I've used it, the smell fades a bit once dry, but it does linger.

Shadowlee
November 29th, 2006, 01:58 PM
I leave it in for a few minutes and then rinse it out before I get out of the shower. The first time I tried ACV, I left it in but I didn't like the smell. I haven't noticed any difference to my hair between rinsing and not rinsing.

PatGear
November 29th, 2006, 03:37 PM
I leave it in. Our water is softened (read, very, very very 30+ GGP hard so we had to get a water softener) so I use a very low concentration of the vinegar rinse (1TBS/2cups). If I was using a higher concentration I might not have been able to stand the smell and rinse it out.

csdearl
November 29th, 2006, 04:33 PM
I rinsed it out the first few times i tried it. Then I read in someones journal that they don't so I thought i would give it a try. I find the smell goes away after it's dry but I add EO's to it just so my hair smells that much nicer after it. I haven't noticed a difference between leaving it in and rinsing it out but only time will tell on that one I think.

lilmisspicky126
November 29th, 2006, 04:49 PM
I rinse my ACV rinse out, if I don't my family and friends complain that I smell like salad. I leave it in for a few minutes in the shower though.

wimsey
November 29th, 2006, 04:52 PM
I voted no, but that's not exactly true. I usually do the ACV rinse after rinsing out my CO conditioner and before my richer conditioner. I put the rinse in then put the 2nd conditioner in without rinsing the ACV out. Then I rinse the 2nd conditioner out and I guess the ACV, too.

Carolyn
November 29th, 2006, 05:20 PM
I use white vinegar when I do a vinegar rinse and I rinse it out. I've experimented a few times with not rinsing it out and didn't think I got the same shine and clean feel as when I rinsed it out. There was no vinegar odor after my hair dried when I didn't rinse it. Does the smell linger in some people's hair? Or do they just not like the smell of vinegar and think it remains? They know the vinegar was in their hair and so they think they can still smell it. I dunno. I use white vinegar in my HALO rinse and I don't rinse that out.

LittleFlower
November 29th, 2006, 06:51 PM
I rinse it out very lightly, ie. for a minute or less. I've never noticed any vinegar smell but that may be due to my already strong-smelling herbs/conditioner or the fact that my ACV rinse is pretty weak (just a splash in 4 cups of water).

Medievalhair
November 29th, 2006, 07:09 PM
When I started using a vingar rinse, I used 1 1/2 TBSP to 2 cups water. After while I started smell the vingar I used white. It help stop my itchy scalp. I always rinse my vingar rinse.

SunCat
November 29th, 2006, 07:16 PM
I rinse mine out, very lightly or completely. I have left it in before but I didn't notice any difference. I always add essential oils to my ACV.

Antares
November 29th, 2006, 09:28 PM
My vinegar rinses are less rinses and more soaks. I soak the length in the solution for a while, then hold my head under the water quickly. I'm sure I'm not getting all the vinegar out, but most of it rinses out and it seems to work well.

Tresses
November 30th, 2006, 08:23 AM
What?!? No, "Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't" option? I'm anything but consistent with my routine. :silly:

Mi-chan
November 30th, 2006, 08:40 AM
I wash it out, because I don't like the way my hair feels when I leave it in.
The scent is not *thaaaat* bad, but it's not pleasant either. so I prefer to rinse it and wash it out ^^

granitbaby
November 30th, 2006, 09:01 AM
I prefer a light rinse-out with cold water. It takes away the smell but not the shine and softness from my hair.

Juliet's Silk
November 30th, 2006, 12:10 PM
I leave it in. I use a very weak rinse - the HALO leave-in to be exact.
Before that, I always rinsed the ACV out and it did nothing for my hair but when leaving the stuff in, it really works. Could be the other ingredients in the HALO too, though.
I never had any problems with the odor, not when rinsing the stuff out nor when leaving it in now.

Neoma
November 30th, 2006, 01:22 PM
I voted for Cheese since "sometimes I do and sometimes I don't" wasn't an option.

I usually rinse it out these days, because I added way too much EO to this batch of white vinegar, and I'm a bit afraid to leave it on my scalp, even diluted with a couple cups of water.

Having said that, in the past, I have left it in, and I believe that my hair was even softer, more tangle-free and shiner than usual.

BBGrrl
November 30th, 2006, 08:53 PM
I rinse mine out. I can't stand the smell so I rinse until my hair has no trace left.

JennyP
December 3rd, 2006, 09:01 AM
If I don't rinse, my ends feel crunchy. Don't know why, and it doesn't really make any sense because I only use about a tablespoon to a liter of water, but there it is.

harley mama
December 3rd, 2006, 12:52 PM
I rinse. I don't like smelling like a salad!

"Life is too short and friends are too few."

shmalora
December 3rd, 2006, 04:16 PM
I voted "CHEESE" because I like taking pictures and because I do my ACV rinse between my shampoo bar and deep conditioner, so I guess I rinse it out...

Katze
December 4th, 2006, 12:53 AM
I voted "rinse" because I have just started using ACV as a rinse with CO/WO, and even when I *DO* rinse I get that salad-y smell, especially during sports. No one else (BF) seems to notice the smell, but I do, and it kind of bugs.

ACV really helps with dandruff, but also seems to make my hair quite dry. And I don't particularly like the smell.

For those of you who leave it in, how on earth do you deal with the smell in the first day?

FallensFairy
December 5th, 2006, 06:16 AM
I rinse mine out, I have only tried a ouple of times though. I may try to leave it in just once to see if there is any diference, thats if i can stand the smell. When i use it though i can barely stand the smell long enugh to kepp it on for a few minutes before rinsing it out.

CherryDanish
December 5th, 2006, 08:10 AM
I quickly rinse because by the time in my routine I get to the ACV it's really cold on my head :( so i need to warm up a little bit.
It also smells, even though i use like 15 drops of peppermint oil to compete with the smell. FYI: it's not entirely a good idea to do a hard/thorough scritching and then pour ACV/Peppermint Oil on your scalp! it tingles something fierce!

but the peppermint overpowers the ACV smell :face: it also clears your sinuses

Nightside
December 5th, 2006, 09:18 AM
I don't rinse. Actually, I think that I have never tried to rinse it.
The smell goes away quickly, so it doesn't bother me. But the main reason is that I'm a really lazy gal :silly:

CryssieWillow
December 6th, 2006, 09:43 AM
I rinse.
I already noticed with my first henna's that my hair got dry from the vineagar I used to prepare the stuff, which improved quickly when I left it out.
I'm not leaving acids in my lengths now...

ruby_tuesday
December 6th, 2006, 11:34 AM
I leave it in, but I use only about 1 tablespoon in 1 glass of water. Then I finish off with 1 glass of water + 2 teaspoons of honey. And YES, I leave that in, as well.

ACV is good for shine, and those times when I rinsed it out, I didn't feel that it was helping my hair at all. But if I leave it in, it smooths my frizz and adds shine. Honey is for volume.

I can't smell ACV in my hair once it's dry.

PatGear
December 6th, 2006, 12:08 PM
For those of you who leave it in, how on earth do you deal with the smell in the first day?First of all, the smell vary a lot by brand, etc. so some might not be as bad as others. I actually am using red-wine vinegar at the moment, and I think the smell is less strong than ACV. My solution is on the weak side (<1 TBS in 2 cup) so that helps. Sometimes I put a few drops of vanilla extract in in and that smells nice! I don't have any EO, but those would be better. ( Vanilla extract does have alcohol in it but I figure a few drops in 2 cups of water isn't going to be drying.)

Even if I don't put the vanilla in it, once I put (virgin, unrefined) coconut oil on my ends, the smell is so much stronger than the vinegar smell, it coveres it up completely. (Sometimes I wonder if I should try putting more vanilla in the rinse so my hair can smell like some coconutty dessert!)

Zombiekins
December 6th, 2006, 01:15 PM
YES! The bf used to complain I smelled like pickles back in the vinegar rinse days. So I always made sure to rinse completely before hopping out of the shower. Plus, it just left my hair feeling..."weird."

Since then I've switched over to citric acid rinses and haven't looked back. They seemed to leave my hair feeling "less icky", don't have a rank odor, and it doesn't take up space under my cabinet. I still rinse it out completely though. :)

Wavelength
December 6th, 2006, 01:16 PM
I rinse mine out with cold water, but I use red wine vinegar so it doesn't smell as strong as ACV. I also add lavender, bergamot and rosemary EOs to the vinegar rinse, shake up the bottle till it all foams, apply it to my scalp and leave it there for about a minute before I rinse it out.

Willowspirit
December 7th, 2006, 10:21 PM
I leave my very weak ACV rinse in. I make it up with filtered water which I think helps to make my hair very soft and shiny.

MerryKat
December 8th, 2006, 12:23 AM
I would some times rinse the ACV out if I had made a strong batch, but with the white vinegar, I never rinse.

Snowymoon
December 8th, 2006, 01:02 AM
Would it harm the hair if it were left in? I mean, it is an acid, even if it is dilute. :bigeyes: Is it *safe* to leave it in? I just recall someone who had left in lemon juice and had horrible damage from it.

SugarBabydoll
December 8th, 2006, 01:56 AM
I don't like the smell, at least not for my hair, (I like it for salads though :silly:) so I rinse it out.

SugarBabydoll
December 8th, 2006, 01:58 AM
YES! The bf used to complain I smelled like pickles back in the vinegar rinse days. So I always made sure to rinse completely before hopping out of the shower. Plus, it just left my hair feeling..."weird."

Since then I've switched over to citric acid rinses and haven't looked back. They seemed to leave my hair feeling "less icky", don't have a rank odor, and it doesn't take up space under my cabinet. I still rinse it out completely though. :)

I want to try citric acid rinses :)
How much citric acid do you use and how much water?

Gladtobemom
December 8th, 2006, 04:01 AM
I said rinsed--since it eventually rinses out.

I do my ACV rinse after my "cleansing" conditioner and before my "nurturing" conditioner in my CO routine.

I just put it in, making sure it gets to my scalp; let it stay on about 2 min. (most will drain off).

Then, I add my nurturing conditoner without rinsing.

I rinse my final conditioner out quite well with filtered shower water.