Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Curling boyfriend's hair

sarah_mi
December 21st, 2005, 02:19 PM
My boyfriend is really lazy when it comes to his hair, and a lot of the time he waits WAYY too long between haircuts. (He says it saves money if he doesn't go to the barber as often, even though he looks SO much better with it short.)

So sometimes when it gets long enough, I'll take out my hair curlers and sign him up for an appointment at Sarah's Full Service Hair Salon! He looks so cute with his hair set in curlers, and he looks so funny when we're finished with all his little ringlets!

Am I the only one who does this, or does anyone else like to give your boyfriends / guy friends / SOs makeovers?

Medvssa
December 21st, 2005, 02:37 PM
I also do, and I have a head of long wavy hair to practice braiding :D but he doesn't really seem to like it, so I try not to abuse, hehe
I would love to put him on curlers, but when I mentioned it, he gave me a very "don't you dare" look, but someday I will do it http://www.funeralart.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/gnyhihi.gif

nahleili
December 21st, 2005, 05:17 PM
I totally do. I've gone so far as to make him a bubble bath with my girly stuff, attack him with my blackhead remover too, and before he cut off his BSL curls, pamper his hair or straighten it so he could enjoy his hair at its full length.

MariaAZ
December 21st, 2005, 05:33 PM
I've never asked DH about putting curlers in his hair, for one reason I don't currently own curlers and another is he isn't fond of his hair being curly. He was curly as a kid, and even today occasionally tries to coax his 27" long 2a hair a bit straighter.

However, he DOES endulge my urges to try updos. When I get the bug to try something new, he rolls his eyes and grumbles, but lets me twist and pin and clip and braid to my heart's content. I find it very helpful in applying the styles to my own hair, but I think he secretly enjoys his hair being played with and just won't admit it ;)

zule
December 21st, 2005, 06:13 PM
When he had long hair, rollers were OUT. He thinks women are nuts for using them, so why would a man want to? But makeovers, yes, if you mean facials, deep conditioning, etc. He likes that.

ohjezebel
December 21st, 2005, 06:20 PM
My lover is more vain than I am. He has this green clay mask stuff that he loooves to use, so I'll come back to my apartment to find that my roommate has let him in so he's in his boxers and this green mask reading his motorgeek forum on my laptop. He'll then insist on putting the mask on my face too.

He loves it when I find new recipes on here to try - the aspirin mask was a real favorite with him. He'll let me deep condition his hair and do ACV rinses and everything. Sadly Lover's hair isn't long enough to play with, but an exboyfriend/still friend has shoulder length hair that he'll let me oil and brush and braid. He even sat still for a S&D when his splits started driving me insane (darn hair ocd).

Anyone else bothered by splits in other people's hair to the point of doing a S&D to cut them all off?

Dick
December 22nd, 2005, 05:58 AM
My wife sets my hair often. We use the large brush type but with the brushes removed. The results are amazing, mostly straight and smooth but with a hint of wave. This seems to be the safest way to avoid damage. Drying time is about 1 hour under a hood type dryer on low heat.

I strangely enough like the feel of the rollers :blushing: and she enjoys doing it.

I could post some photos if anyone would be interested, assuming I can remember where I filed them.

Dick

GlennaGirl
December 22nd, 2005, 09:01 AM
My husband would sprinkle me with holy water and go hide in a corner if I ever came near him with a hair curler.

I just can't see it happening...

nessthing
December 22nd, 2005, 11:53 AM
I have a friend of the female persuasion who's long since straightened and dyed the luster and softness from her shoulder length hair, and is very infatuated with my virgin locks.

Yeah, she likes to pet or braid or brush or bun my hair... a lot. (The scalp massages are nice too.) I think I'd draw the line however at rollers.

redpenny
December 22nd, 2005, 12:28 PM
I am constantly on my boyfriend's butt about his hair! I am always trying to take care of it for him because he doesn't care for his hair at all and of course I am obsessed with hair being healthy in all. My boyfriend has almost shoulder length hair and it is a little wavy and curly. I can't wait till the day when I get to strenghten his hair out. When he had shorter hair, I used to spike it up for him and make him look all cute and stuff! he..he! He doesn't mind it that much but sometimes he does.

lilmisspicky126
December 22nd, 2005, 12:44 PM
Haha....i get the feeling my boyfriend would run if i came at him with rollers...run and probably never talk to me again. But then again he doesnt really care about his hair ( which is sad, because it would be rather pretty if cared for correctly) doesnt use conditioner ( doesnt see the point) wont comb it, or brush it ( because then it looks odd) and he wont wear sunscreen either...but thats another story haha

sarah_mi
December 25th, 2005, 03:34 PM
I just got a few things for Christmas that I'm very excited about, but I don't think my boyfriend will be to happy about next time I do his hair. :D I got a hood dryer attachment for my blow dryer and a cute pink flowery hairdresser's cape!

He's gonna look so cute sitting there wearing the cape with the bonnet dryer over the rollers in his hair! Hrmm, his hair needs to grow faster...

Oh well, until then, I'll be able to get plenty of use out of them myself. Happy Holidays everyone!!! :) :)

Saoirse
December 25th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Aww, that's so cute! I don't think I've ever seen a guy in curlers, but it's an endearing thought.

Dick
December 26th, 2005, 06:40 AM
Hi All;

Just thought I'd post a few photos I found in my files that show my wife's handy work with rollers:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/dick05/Rollers/P5110009.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/dick05/Rollers/P5110005.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/dick05/Rollers/casiopics057.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/dick05/Rollers/25340409lg.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/dick05/Rollers/P4260004.jpg

I think the use of rollers is very safe and produces very good results. The only down side is the time it takes to dry your hair. Mine takes about an hour, depending on the size and type of roller used.

Dick

Marie99
December 26th, 2005, 08:26 AM
My husband used to have very long hair, and he would let me braid it, but that's it. I also have attacked him with pore strips several times and he loves it.

Shield31
December 27th, 2005, 05:49 AM
DW and I are headed to the upstate New York - Canada border on Friday. It's our yearly Christmas and New Year get-together with her family. There will be about 20 people in the house.

I told DW that if one of them makes a comment about curling my long hair, I am going to say, "Lets go for it!":wink:

We'll see.

But, a GF and I used her curlers years ago and it was fun. And we both liked the results. I wish there had been digital cameras back then.:twisted:

cuddleydoc
December 28th, 2005, 03:45 PM
In reading through these posts it appears that there are some guys who are very comfortable with the idea of having their hair set in rollers. Most of the women posting have indicated that they thought that their husbands / boyfriends would object to having their hair set in rollers. This is probably true for most of the male population. The question is why? Is is socially unacceptable to men because it is considered a feminine activity? What is it about rollers that makes them feminine?

I have been to salons where I have seen men getting their hair permed using perm rods but never getting their hair roller set. Does anyone have any thoughts on why men are so reluctant to have their hair set?

Nyphur
December 28th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Wish I had a girlfriend who would play with my hair (anything except straighten it). But I'm all alone:(.

sarah_mi
December 28th, 2005, 08:15 PM
I totally agree with you, cuddleydoc! I'm glad we have a lot of open-minded men here on the forum who wouldn't mind getting their hair set (but that's because they all know how to properly take care of their hair ;) ), but it's too bad that there's so much negative stigma attached to it in the rest of the world. Is it so wrong for men to want to take good care of their hair and to try a style that might be slightly outside the box? Men with longer hair could have just as many hairstyling options available as women, but right now they're stuck with just a few basic styles because of what society decides is acceptable.

I know hair salons are traditionally thought of as girly, and most men wouldn't be caught dead inside one, but I would LOVE to go into my salon and find a guy sitting under the next dryer over, pink cape, hairnet, and all, getting his hair set in rollers. It would show me that he's comfortable enough in his masculinity to swallow his manly pride enough to take proper care of his hair. (Besides that, it would show me that he's really smart, because going to a salon means that he'd be surrounded by women, and I'm sure a lot of them would love to see, touch, and admire his newly done hair, and possibly even want to get to know a guy brave enough to do all that a little bit better. ;) )

Whew, okay, rant over. *steps off soapbox*

GlennaGirl
December 28th, 2005, 08:27 PM
I'm not so sure that it's a question of social stigma. I think it might be a lot more simple than that: Many (not all, of course) guys really hate to be picked and prodded at.

My DS is only 2.5 years old and he has ALWAYS hated having his hair brushed or fussed with. He doesn't like having to sit still, and being picked at that way (even though I'm gentle). He wants to get up and go and do his thing and he doesn't want to be hung all over that way all the time. And mind you, he's been like this since he was, I guess, 7 or 8 months old (that's when he started really getting hair and needing it brushed). It can hardly be a social stigma issue in that case.

My older DS was the same way.

I think (please don't jump on me for this because yes, I know there are exceptions) that girls tend to be more patient in general as fa as being hung all over. I often wonder whether that's preparation for becoming mothers one day. As I said, NOT ALL but many girls seem much more patient with the whole process: sitting still, doing what's asked of them (within reason, obviously), and being fussed around. This is just my general experience with little girls vs. little boys and it starts very early.

So I really don't think it's anything to worry about too much as far as men being repressed or anything. :lol: But that's just my opinion. Some guys seem to like it and that's fine. I think the majority don't...and that's fine too. I don't feel any great need to force my DH to overcome social stereotypes by sitting with curlers in his hair. :lol: He definitely stands up for what he believes in, socially acceptable or not. So I'm sure if he believed in curlers...he'd be standing up for them too. As things actually stand, I think if I ever asked to curl his hair he'd run for the hills.

ammorgan
December 29th, 2005, 12:01 AM
When hubby had long hair I would play with it. I would try to braid it and french braid it. And brush it too.

It was a way for me to try out styles and be able to see what I was doing.

He didn't seem to mind me doing it.

I let him wash my hair once (and this was back when his was long too) and oh man the way he washed my hair, swirled it all on top of my head but gave me a really good scalp scrub. I wonder how he kept his hair from being tangled and damaged. Probably helps that his hair is finer than mine :)

DesM
December 29th, 2005, 12:11 AM
I enjoy it when my DW 'plays' with my hair.
Sometimes she'll braid it or give me a massage.
But, I don't think I'd be comfortable with her putting rollers in my hair.
I have no problem with anyone who wants this done to them, it's just not for me.

nessthing
December 29th, 2005, 01:04 AM
I'm not so sure that it's a question of social stigma. I think it might be a lot more simple than that: Many (not all, of course) guys really hate to be picked and prodded at.
I can put up with being fussed over to a point, but it does tend to make me a little restless after a while. What I really hate is when whoever's playing with/pampering your hair starts acting like they're a little girl with a Barbie and starts giggling. UGH. I can't take the giggling.