Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Cucumber juice to increase hair growth?

Darian Moone
December 20th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Has anyone ever tried cucumber juice to increase the speed of their hair growth?

I went on a cruise in October and decided to treat myself to a mini-facial at their spa. The manager and I hit it off and started swapping natural beauty tips, etc. She had given me some water with cucumber slices and strawberries in it. It was quite refreshing and she made the remark that it was a good body cleanser.

I loved the taste and have made myself some cucumber juice which I mix with water (rather than just slice cukes and put them in water) several times since then and find it very refreshing. I decided to do some internet research and came up with a site that states the following:

"Cucumber juice pro­motes hair growth due to its high silicon and sulfur content, particularly when mixed with carrot, lettuce and spinach juice."

So I'm thinking...why not give this a try? It certainly can't be bad for me. The worse thing that could happen is that it doesn't cause hair to grow any faster but I get lots of good nutrients!

My questions:
1. Has anyone ever heard of this?
2. If you have tried this, does it work?
3. I do not have a juicer, only a blender. I was putting the setting on "liquify" and then running it through a sieve to strain out the chunks so I could drink it. Does anyone know a better way to juice without a juicer? I'm "Christmas poor" right now so buying one is out of the question.

Here is the link to the website that I found that discussed Cucumber juice and hair growth. The part about hair is down toward the bottom of the article...
http://www.indiangyan.com/books/healthbooks/food_that_heal/cucumber.shtml

olehippy
December 20th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Hmmm. I wonder if eating a salad with cuke, carrot, spinach & lettuce everyday would be just as good? Add a little flax seed and you'd be good to go.

olehippy

Darian Moone
December 20th, 2005, 07:49 PM
I would think that a salad like that each day would be cover the bases, unless it would be more concentrated/stronger if it were juiced and a couple of glasses were consumed each day. Of course the health benefits of the fiber in the salad would be missed.

Edited to add:
I think I'll start this Jan. 1 when I do my beginning of the month measurement and faithfully stick by drinking a tall glass of the stuff daily for one month and see if my growth rate increases any.

ChloeDharma
December 21st, 2005, 03:05 AM
Oooh, that's tempting. I do have a juicer but am normally too lazy to use it! lol
I think cucumber would be nice mixed with carrot and apple juice, mind you, i mix EVERYTHING with carrot and apple juice! lol
By the way, fab site, i'll look forward to looking around that. Thanks :)

olehippy
December 21st, 2005, 07:40 AM
I would think that a salad like that each day would be cover the bases, unless it would be more concentrated/stronger if it were juiced and a couple of glasses were consumed each day.

Your probably right about the concentration levels & thats probably what is needed. Too bad I got rid of my juicer. It was a cheapie from Walmart & way too hard to get clean. It became a hassle to use because I hated to even think about cleaning it. I do have a Vita Mix I could use though.

olehippy

the.fee.fairy
December 21st, 2005, 07:58 AM
sounds nice, please keep us informed!

it'd probably be good for a detox too.

Alba-NY
December 21st, 2005, 09:05 AM
sooo, the good effects are from consumption? Cool! I usually eat 2 cukes a day when I am snacking. I hope the salad thing works too (sounds like it would.) DH and I eat A LOT of cucumbers because I make my variation of his Russian salad almost every day. It is soooo yummy, so I'll give the recipe here (more ways to eat a cucumber, lol.)

for two people:
2 cukes
4-6 tomatoes (not cherry, not the kind for sandwiches)
one bunch of scallions
one bunch of dill.
salt
EV olive oil
you can add other stuff, but NEVER leave out one of these main ingredients. They interact in special ways, lol.

Peel the cukes, slice them in halves lenghtwise, and slice them thinly crosswise. put them in the serving bowl and sprinkle with some of the salt. (I don't know how much is used, I go by taste. It is more than I ever would normally think to use though. If there isn't enough salt the taste doesn't meld correctly.) Cut the tomatoes in half, then each half into thirds, and then cut across the thirds (in half) to make 6 pieces. Place these on top of the cukes and add more salt. Slice the scallions thinly, place on top of the tomatoes and salt. Chop the dill finely, and place on top. Don't mix until very end. Add more salt, and pour a lot of olive oil over the salad. I find that if it seeps through the dill and scallions it tastes awesome. leave for a few minutes then mix the salad. let it sit another 3-5 minutes before serving.
If you have french bread to dip in the juices that is the best part!

maglin
December 21st, 2005, 09:15 AM
Nor have I heard of that either. I'll follow how this works for you, curious. Now I'm hungry for cukes.......

Anne
December 21st, 2005, 10:58 AM
Yes, I've tried drinking a mix with cucumber juice. I was using the juicer every day for a while, but got tired of cleaning it.

Can't hurt, I'm sure.

It's a great juice to drink in summer. It actually lowers your body temp.

But I think what you might be wondering is did I actually record extra growth while drinking lots of cucumber juice -- no, I didn't, but I felt great during.

Cheers :hooched:

LadyOttoline
December 21st, 2005, 11:08 AM
Hmm that's interesting. I might give that a try too next year, I love cucumbers. And I'm quite relieved it's not an external treatment but something to eat/drink!

Clare-Dragonfly
December 21st, 2005, 01:31 PM
Ooh, I wonder if that's one of the reasons my hair grows so fast. I have cucumbers almost every day--certainly every weekday--while I'm at school, since I need my veggies, and usually the salad bar is my only option.

TheFragile
December 21st, 2005, 02:02 PM
I would think that a salad like that each day would be cover the bases, unless it would be more concentrated/stronger if it were juiced and a couple of glasses were consumed each day.

Would it be more concentrated if you juiced it? I would think it would be less so, because your removing the juice from part of the plant. Right? I'm not familar with juicing.

dixie
December 21st, 2005, 02:08 PM
Cucumber juice is great for the skin( at least the lovely victorian ladies thought so)......rub a little on your face before you drink the rest.

Darian Moone
December 21st, 2005, 09:02 PM
Alba-NY thanks for sharing your recipe --- it sounds delicious and I'm definitely going to try it (and I LOVE dill!).

I think I'll poke around eBay or on line somewhere for an inexpensive juicer. Even if it doesn't help my hair grow faster, I think it's definitely a path toward improved health.

ChloeDharma
December 22nd, 2005, 06:01 AM
Juicing means it will be more nutrient dense as the juicer seperates the fibrous part from the rest. Although i think thats more so with stuff like carrots etc.
Cucumber applied to the skin is lovely, it's soothing and cooling, and relieves itchy puffy eyes. I'm not a huge fan of eating the stuff though, although i'll make an effort if this experiment works!